Prof. Miguel Virgós
In January 2020 Miguel founded his own practice, Virgós Arbitration.
Until 2020 Miguel was a partner at Uría Menéndez, where he headed the international arbitration practice group. He regularly acted as the lead advocate and strategic advisor to clients involved in both commercial and investment treaty disputes.
Miguel has also been ‘of counsel’ for international affairs at Cuatrecasas (2000–2004). As expert, he advised on international business transactions and represented the Kingdom of Spain in the negotiation of various international treaties and European legislation.
Miguel has extensive experience as both counsel and arbitrator in domestic and international cases. He has represented clients and conducted arbitrations under ad hoc terms (UNCITRAL) and under the main institutional rules, including ICC, LCIA, Swiss Chambers, ICSID, SIAC and CAM, with seats in various jurisdictions, among others, London, Paris, Geneva, New York, Washington D.C., Miami and Madrid.
Miguel is a chaired professor of Private International Law at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and a permanent member of the commercial law section of the Spanish General Commission of Codification.
Miguel writes and speaks regularly on the topics of his expertise. His report on insolvency proceedings in the European Union is regularly referred to by European courts.
Miguel was also one of the 16 experts appointed by the European Commission to advise on the interface between the Brussels I Regulation and arbitration.
- LL.M. Columbia University, New York, 1982
- Doctor in Law (Ph.D.), summa cum laude, Universitá degli Studi di Bologna, 1981
- Law Degree, Universidad de Oviedo, 1978, award for the best academic results
- Construction projects
- Corporate acquisitions
- Financial services
- Investment and investment protection
- Joint ventures
- Oil and Gas
- Partnership disputes
- Power and energy
- American Society of International Law (ASIL)
- Asociación de Profesores de Derecho Internacional y Relaciones Internacionales (AEPDIRI)
- Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage (ASA)
- Club Español del Arbitraje (CEA)
- Madrid International Arbitration Center (MIAC)
- ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- INSOL International
- ICC Institute of World Business Law
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- International Law Association (ILA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Cruz de la Orden de San Raimundo de Peñafort, for his contribution to the participation of Spain in the European Union.
- European Legal Team of the Year 2014 (The British Legal Awards), for the international defence of REPSOL in the expropriation of its affiliate YPF by Argentina.
Working languages: Spanish, English and Italian
Other languages: French, German and Portuguese
Chambers & Partners 2021. Miguel Virgós is ranked in Europe guide (Dispute Resolution and Most in Demand Arbitrators).
Chambers & Partners 2021. Miguel Virgós is ranked in Global guide (Dispute Resolution, Band 2).
Best Lawyers 2021 names Miguel Virgós as the Best Lawyer in Madrid, Spain for Arbitration and Mediation (2021), and it also recognizes him in Arbitration and Mediation and Litigation lists.
Who is Who Legal 2021. Miguel Virgós is ranked in 2021 WWL Ranking as both Global Leader (Arbitration) and National Leader (Iberia – Arbitration).
Leaders League 2020. Miguel Virgós is ranked as Excellent in the ranking “Best Arbitrators – Spain, 2020”.
Legal 500 EMEA. Miguel Virgós is included in the Hall of Fame as an International Arbitration expert.
Miguel Virgós “is a dedicated arbitrator,” according to sources, offering further experience as a litigator on investment disputes.
Miguel Virgós is well regarded for his experience acting on notable Latin American disputes. He has a solid track record representing corporate clients in private commercial claims as well as investor-state arbitrations spanning several key jurisdictions. He offers particular expertise in conflicts arising from various infrastructure sectors.
Miguel Virgós is described as an “endless source of knowledge” who shines in domestic and Latin American commercial and investment disputes.
“Prestigious lawyer” Miguel Virgós is valued by clients for the “strategic vision” he brings to cases. He rises in the rankings after garnering significant support for his arbitration practice. He is particularly well versed in international proceedings.
Miguel Virgós is frequently seen advising on multi-jurisdiction investment disputes as well as commercial arbitration. Sources dub him “a classic name in the Madrid market.”
Miguel Virgós has experience representing corporate clients in both commercial and investor-state arbitrations before several of the major arbitral panels. He has notable expertise on disputes related to the construction of infrastructure projects.
T. +34 91 458 5220 | M. +34 690 601 702
Serrano 240 - Madrid 28016 - Spain